Friday, February 25, 2011

Versatile Potatoes



Tonight while waiting on dough to rise, for what is destine to turn out as the best cinnamon swirl bread i have ever had, I got a little creative with the potatoes that didnt get used for last weeks potage parmentier (potato leek soup). I am starting a window sill herb garden and my little terracotta pots needed some character so they were painted white and stamped with carved potato stamps. I'm not sure where I have ever heard of potatoes being used to to make stamps but it really worked out quite well. Now all I have to do is wait for my little sprouts to show their shining faces and usher in a long awaited spring. Besides a small amount of window sill herbs, this spring I plan on having a small patio garden too. Since I moved into my apartment in the dead of winter, the patio has yet to be utilized but I think it will be perfect for a few potted tomato plants and maybe a sprawling vine of squash. I want to make a dwarf lemon tree a permanent resident of the home, spending the warm weather days on the patio and the not so nice days inside by one of the huge windows that are scattered about the place. We will see what happens though, my green thumb has yet to prove itself. So far in my little exploits into the world of do-it-yourselfdom have turned out mildly successful but wildly self satisfactory and both of my thumbs will work hard to keep up with my high expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment